Until now, the majority of the discussion regarding the Sublette 9 proposal for Sublette 1 to share its REC and BOCES mill revenues has been centered around the basis for the proposal itself. We haven’t spent a lot of time talking about the effect of the proposal to the school and community should it be approved by the Sublette 1 Board of Trustees. It was difficult to speculate just exactly what it would be. Last night that changed. At the regularly scheduled March board meeting, Donna Lozier, Director of the Sublette 1 BOCES and JJ Huntley, Director of the Pinedale Aquatic Center presented what the impact would be to their 2011-2012 budgets. If you are a Sublette 1 School District constituent or Pinedale community member, suffice to say it’s significant. Links to the full reports from Donna (BOCES) and JJ (PAC) are below. These documents can also be accessed at the Pinedale Schools web page. Some of the key components to the proposed budget reductions are below:
Pinedale Aquatic Center:
1. The PAC would be closed during the summer and on the weekends.
2. The hours of operation on week days would be from 6:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
3. Loss of 3-5 full-time jobs.
4. Loss of 20 part-time jobs.
5. Significant reductions to fitness classes and youth programs.
Sublette 1 BOCES:
1. Elimination of Pinedale Elementary Science Enrichment Program.
2. Elimination of Pinedale Elementary PEAK Program (Gifted and Talented).
3. Elimination of SCSD #1 Instructional Facilitators.
4. Significant reductions to community and school programs.
5. Loss of 8 jobs.
I encourage you to take the time to review the full details of the proposed cuts to the PAC and BOCES budgets. I would also like to thank Donna and the BOCES board as well as JJ and the PAC board for all of the extra time and effort needed to prepare this information for our Board.
The Sublette 1 Board of Trustees has scheduled a Community Impact Meeting on March 22nd at 7 PM in the High School Auditorium. This meeting is specifically designed to provide Sublette 1 constituents and Pinedale community members the opportunity provide feedback to the Board regarding the Sublette 9 proposal. If you cannot attend and would like to provide input, we welcome letters and emails that can be read at the meeting at your request.